3.27.2008



I apologize for the lapse in vegginess, it has been a crazy month
in school compounded with a Spring Break and some majorly busy weekends. Excuses aside; I do have a bunch to talk about. Mainly my veggie-tastic week-
long trip to Boston.
Now, I do not have the disdain for New England that my
boyfriend has, having grown up in Connecticut, however, I have experienced the
wrath of a Providence and Boston winter before, and let's just say...they are NOT
fun. This particular week, though, the weather was wonderful (despite
one half day of rain). Along with the cooperation of the weather, I
enjoyed the company of my best friend and some of her favorite Vegan
places in Boston.
...and now it's time for the break-down....


TJ Scallywaggles: 487 Cambridge St., Allston- I had
visited TJ's on a previous trip, and they have yet to disappoint. The pizza is
great, and much more eatable than our Gianna's. They also have some amazing
dessert options, and every once in a while an all you can eat vegan pizza
buffet. AMAZING! I was slightly saddened because they ran out of vegan Baklava,
which is probably my favorite dessert in the world, but the awesome veg dude
behind the counter said he would try and make a tray up before I had to leave
Boston if I wanted to stop by in a couple of days. Sadly we were not able to,
but thank you guy for being so nice! I really do like this spot, and if you are
in Boston for even just a few hours one day, check it out.


Grasshopper: 1 North Beacon St., Allston-I am a huge fan
of the PA based bakery "Vegan Treats", and I will never stop drooling over their
selection displayed at Gourmet to Go, HOWEVER, this place has THE best vegan
cake to ever touch my palette. Try the turtle and tell me it isn't something god
herself made, I dare you. The rest of their menu is great too. I enjoy Thai, and
being able to order something off of a Thai menu without having to worry about
fish sauce is a great experience. I would recommend the Mango Thai "chicken"


Passage to India: This place is actually located at 157
Washington St. Salem Mass., and is probably my most favorite thing in Salem (in
close second was an amazing thrift store called "Witch City"). So Salem was a
bit disappointing, and granted we were there in the off season, but this
restaurant was great, They had absolutely no problem confirming that they did
not cook with Ghee, and they also cooked their Garlic Naan without the butter.
The vegetable Pakora was great with the spicy onion chutney. I had the Kabuli
Channa, which is Chickpeas and potatoes cooked with ginger and garlic. It was
great, especially off the lunch specials menu.


Veggie-planet: 47 Palmer St., Cambridge- I loved this
place. It was apparently a well known folk venue back in the day when folk music
ruled the world. Now it is this awesome hole-in-the-wall with amazingly healthy
and large portioned vegan offerings. I had a Thai peanut pizza, and my friend
had the pizza with the kalamata olives, both were great paired with their fresh
squeezed lemonade.

Herrell's: 155 Brighton Ave.,
Allston-It is an ice cream spot,but also a great little coffee joint. They have
good vegan cookies and adorably delicious little vegan tarts, plus free wifi for
those who need the hookup but try to avoid Starbucks.


All in all it was a great trip, and with the help of these lovely
eateries, along with Whole Foods, and a good rubbing of John Harvard's toe,I
managed to gain a few pounds and leave Boston with a better opinion of it than
when I first arrived.